lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

City of Lost Souls  - Cassandra Clare This review can also be found on my blog.

I think that there is a reason why Clary won the first heroine tournament and why Jace won the first YA crush tournament. They're both reckless fighters and don't know any boundaries when it comes to keeping their loved ones safe and sound, making them happy, doing what's right. As you know, last time we heard about them, Jace was missing from the rooftop and Clary was just saved by Simon from Lilith's wrath. This book starts about two weeks after the events that took place at the end of City of Fallen Angels. The Clave cannot find any information on Jace's and Sebastian's whereabouts, therefore Clary, Simon, Isabelle and Alec decide to do a little research on their own and that's when it all begins.

Honestly, being in Clary's head kind of got on my nerves a little. I know she's in love with Jace. I know she'd do anything to save him. I know he means the world to her, but come on! I already got that this new Jace (from now on I'll just point to him as Jace 2.0) is nothing like Clary's Jace. I love Clary and her bold, loving, caring, strong, beautiful personality and that wasn't always the case here. She was a wreck. However, the title says 'city of lost souls' so I think in some ways she was lost, too. Eh, whatever, I forgive her. She's great no matter what!

Jace 2.0. I would have loved to have read something from his point of view. I was a little disappointed by that, but I guess you can't really write in someone's POV when this person is being controlled by one's evil stepbrother, can you? It is what it is. Doesn't matter whether he's posessed, controled or un-controled, I still love him.

Sebastian, I have to admit, kept me on my toes. He wasn't that interesting in the last two books, but he sure got me interested now. I didn't think there could be a worse (or should I say better) villain in this series than Valentine, but Cassie Clare suprised me by creating an even crazier villain – someone who doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, love and lust etc and who's determined to bring the world down bith a bang.

What amazed me was how Clare has created these two boys – Jace and Sebastian – raised by the same man and they've turned out to be completely different from each other. I've read in psychology that people's personalities develop until the age of four and from then on one's personality can only be influenced, but not changed entirely. Jace knows love and that's the most important thing there is to know in this world. Even if he's sometimes lost, he knows, feels and wants to be loved. Sebastian, however, is a totally different case and even though he intrigues me, he creeps me out, too. Wouldn't want to run in with him on a dark alley, that's for sure!

As to the other characters, I loved Simon (and I don't get why I didn't love him from the very start, I was kind of annoyed with him, to be honest, but now he has become one of my favorite characters if not the most favorite), Magnus, Isabelle and Alec. I liked Jordan's and Maia's story in the previous book, but I think their POV's were just too much for me in this one. That was the thing that bothere me the most – too many POV's to keep myself emotionally invested in everyone's storylines. It was really hard to keep up.

As the heading states, this book was all about lost souls and I think that even if everyone didn't found themselves, they were pushed on the right path. Exept for Sebastian, of course. I liked this installment, I just wasn't that excited about it as I've been with the other ones in this series. I think it may be because as I said, there were too many POV's and also, I read it in bits as opposed to reading the whole book (or half of it) in one sitting. And I read a lot of snippets and spoilers from Cassie's tumblr. That was a mistake, too, I guess, since I knew some parts of it already. I think I'm not going to do that with Clockwork Princess and City of Heavenly Fire *hopes she can keep her curiosity to the minimum*. That being said, I still very much enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the final book in the Mortal Instruments series. It'll be sad to say goodbye to everyone, though.