lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Die for Me - Amy Plum This review was originally posted on my blog.

I’m from Europe, so it’s always fun to read books that take place in other parts of the world, e.g. the States, Canada, Brazil, China etc, but every now and then I enjoy a book set in some of the most beautiful places in the Old World. While Die for Me didn’t exactly make me want to go sightseeing as did Anna and the French Kiss, I still felt a pull to the City of Lights to find out if these “not so human” creatures Kate mingled with truly exist or not.

“Well, spit on my empty grave – if it ain't the attack of the Disney princesses!”

I loved the Revenants' system/rules of their existence and their history was pretty fascinating, if you ask me. Usually I’m not the one to enjoy anything historical, but these episodes of the past really intrigued me and I found myself actually captivated by it all. Another thing I really enjoyed were the Revenants in general. They were all a bunch of great characters and if I were to name my favorites I would probably say Ambrose and Charlotte. Charlotte had sadness to her because of her worries over her brother’s well-being and her own love life, but she smiled through it all and didn’t become bitter because of it. Ambrose was just the funniest guy – his jokes, friendliness and life of the party attitude were pretty attractive.

On the negative side, I wasn’t a fan of Kate, to be honest with you. She was so naïve and gullible. Then again, I can’t really blame her since she’s still so young and has been through so much at such a young age. Vincent, the love interest, was charming, but a little plain. Another thing that bothered me was that I was bored with how the plot wasn’t moving until the last third of the book. But.. It was the first book in the series so hopefully it’ll pick up in the next one.

“So is this a habit of yours, leaving your bag behind in order te strike up a conversation?" He grinned and nodded at the bench where I had been sitting. Lying beneath it was my book bag. "Wouldn't it be easier to just walk up to a guy and say hello?”

Overall it was a pretty good read, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I liked it and thought it was okay, but there weren’t any huge emotions involved while I was reading it. That being said, I will still read the next book, because it got me intrigued enough and hopefully it’ll be more action packed and Kate will finally start to trust her instincts and the people she cares about.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars