lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Rule (Marked Men, #1) - Jay Crownover Oh my, this cover? Yuck. Sorry. This story needs a better cover for sure. And those grammar and spelling mistakes? Let's just say that I'm not a native English speaker and yes, I do have mistakes in my writing and speach, but I think this book deserves better. Luckily, Jay has hired someone to do it from now on and a new edited version is up on Amazon so if you guys read any reviews and get all that whining about spelling/grammar, then know that it's been taken care of. Okay, so the story, right? Told between alternating point of views, Rule was surprisingly good!

“That’s the thing Shaw; I never thought I did until you. I never thought I needed anyone or anything until you got into my head and started breaking down all the walls I had built around all my feelings.”

We stared at each other in a tense silence. Until she sighed softly and uttered, “I’m not sorry. It’s not a bad thing to feel, it’s not awful to care about other people.”

Shaw is a good girl from a very prestigious family. She was close with the Archers when she grew up and Remy was her best friend. All the outsiders thought they were dating. Were they? No. No, because all Shaw has ever had eyes for was Remy's twin Rule. The tattoed, rough around the edges guy who went through girls like they were a new pair of underwear to wear for each day. Haha, that sounded weird, but it's true! He's like a man-whore with no feelings. Or so he thought..

Shaw is living in a mental box surrounded by the expectations of her parents, but all she wants is out. When Shaw and Rule start to bond, Rule gives that out to her in more than one way and Shaw is starting to become her own person. It's wonderful to see, but all the while her ex keeps torturing her. If you've read Easy by Tammara Webber, you know how difficult an ex is to deal with and Gabe was similar to Kennedy in his attitude and backround. He is that type of a character you love to hate!

“I’ve never trusted anyone all the time. It’s the people I care about the most that always seem to do the most damage.”

All those spelling/grammar mistakes in my copy aside, the story was very enjoyable and I thought this guy with tats and a thing for metal music and women was so broken and torned inside that he made me see how easy it was for Shaw to fall in love with him in the first place. Someone among my GR friends recently posted this on their wall: "All girls want a bad boy to be good for them.. All boys want a good girl to be bad for them." I think this thought is perfect to describe this book and I can't wait to see what's to come for Jet, Nash, Rome and Rowdy in the upcoming companion novels.

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.