lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Evermore - Alyson Noel Here’s the deal: I’ve seen raving reviews for this book, but I’ve also seen loads of hateful ones. I wanted to know what it's about and since I’ve seen it on my library a million times, I finally borrowed it and guess what?! I actually liked it. Am I weird? I hope not. The Immortals is in a way similar to Alice Sebold’s My Lovely Bones which I absolutely LOVED! (Summerland reminded me the afterlife in MLB. It was beautiful.) There were some things I disliked, but overall I was quite okay with this book.

“I guess by now I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.”

Evermore follows the life of Ever – a girl who lost her parents, sister and their dog in a car accident. She now lives with her aunt and the once popular girl is now the freak in her new school. She talks to her dead sister Riley daily, sees auras and when she touches someone or something, she can see its history, thoughts. Until Damen comes along. Damen doesn’t have an aura nor can Ever hear his thoughts. He is hot, snarky, mysterious and a part time magician, because he seems to be able to do things a rational mind cannot explain. I liked their progressing relationship and even though Ever was a bit whiny doubtful at times, I can forgive her that, because she has been through SO much and even the best of us could break under that pressure and grief. Some of the plot made me roll my eyes though and Haden as someone who was supposed to be Ever’s friend, was a complete bitch towards her. I think Ever should dump her and find someone else to hang with her and Miles. I liked how Damen and his presence, existence was explained.

My favorite character was probably Riley. I just adored her. She was scared, concerned and it just broke my heart that she was stuck between two worlds – living and dead – and couldn’t fully be with her sister nor their parents. I think the best books are the ones that make you think and this book made me realize that watching/reading about someone else’s struggles to leave their siblings behind is terribly painful and even though my sister is a teenager and most of the days she seems to hate my guts, I love her like no other and I would never want to part ways with her forever. So it’s safe to say I understood Riley’s motives and decision to stay with Ever. The conversation about why she stayed was also the only part of the book that made me teary-eyed.

I will definitely continue with this series and right now, while writing this review, I’m reading the sequel and I hope I’ll enjoy it. If you’re a doubter, try reading The Immortals yourself and see if you’ll like it. You might, but then again you may not. It’s not for everyone, but maybe after reading more contemporaries recently rather than fantasy, this book was a little refreshing even though it didn’t bring anything new to the table. I liked it, though.

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.