lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

From What I Remember... - Stacy Kramer, Valerie  Thomas Actual rating: 1.5 out of 5 stars

Honestly, I don't remember much of this book other than I didn't get the appeal. It was surprisingly long and really chaotic. I don't even know what happened! It seemed like a fun story, but it was so unbelievable and random that instead of entertaining me, it completely rubbed me the rong way. Oh, and it was from more than 4 POVs and how can I ever connect with a character like this? This book was just frustrating.

So, a bunch of kids are going to graduate and for their last assignment before graduation, a teacher gives them a paper to write about a partner. These partners are completely random and chosen by the teacher so of course the nerd girl gets partnered with the most popular guy in school, her barbie girlfriend is all jealous and so it begins. Can it be any more clichée? Umm.. Yes.

Then the nerd girl Kylie agrees to do Max's paper as well, because she doesn't want her grades to suffer. They go have coffee and what do you say? Her lap top gets stolen. Then they start following the thiefs and suddenly they find themselves in Mexico. What. In. The. World? Really? Are you effin kidding me? My eyes literally hurt from all the eyerolling and why I even bothered to finish this book, I have no idea.

It concentrated on building unlikely relationships and the moral was there, I can even see the entertainment factor, but it's so far out of reach that it became totally ridiculous and completely unbelievable. I could even forgive some of it if there were awesome characters, but they were old enough to not act like 12. Come on! This book is a disaster.

“‘Hey, girl,’” I call out. “‘If you’re from Africa, why are you white?’”
Kylie looks up at me. “‘Oh my God, Karen, you can’t just ask people why they’re white,’” she says.

I don't remember having such an experience with a contemporary book from the past year and that speaks volume for me. I'd not recommend it, but people on Goodreads love it so I guess you could give it a try. It may work for you just fine, but wasn't for me and I'm pretty sure I won't be reading anything else from these authors, sorry. The only reason this book gets more than one star is that they quoted Mean Girls. The quote above is pretty much considered a classic.

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.