lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand It’s weird, because I started this book right after I finished Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick. I’m not afraid to admit that I am a fan of the Hush Hush Saga and it’s probably my favorite angel themed series to date. I had heard so many great things about Unearthly series though that I was really hesitant to give it a try. Since everyone was reading the last book already, I felt like I needed to finally start this one and I was actually pleasantly surprised.

“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.”

General impressions. That clipped writing was so out of this world at the beginning. I didn’t think I was going to get adjusted to it, but the more I read, the less it bothered me and soon I didn’t even notice it. It took a lot of time to adjust to though. The world building was fascinating, but I wanted more. I believe there is more to discover when it comes to these Black Wings, rules, purpose etc. – it was original, but a little underdeveloped, in my opinion. Am I the only one who felt like this?

Relationships. Of course I had heard of Tucker and Christian. I knew who they were before I went into this series so that supposedly huge reveal was no surprise for me. What was unexpected though, was that I became a proud member of team Tucker. I was certain I’d love a mysterious hot guy with dark hair rather than a sarcastic, adorable and gentlemanly sweet cowboy, but it was completely the opposite. I wanted to like Christian so bad, but Tucker just sneaked his way into my fist sized heart and took a permanent residence in it. I’m sure it won’t be as easy for Clara to make a choice between destiny and love as the series progresses.

If I compare Clara’s friends, then I must say that Angela was a little too chaotic for my taste. She was all over the place and too pushy. I do understand what Clara sees in her and why they’re friends. I also get why Clara wants to be friends with Wendy – she gives her a sense of normality, a satisfying sense of belonging for the human part of her. I feel that there is more to Clara’s Mom, her purpose and existence. I hope we get to see Sam’s connection and the reason for his fascination with her. I really enjoyed Jeffery’s character – I’d be happy to see a little more of him.

All in all, even though I was reluctant at first to give this series a try, I’m glad I did because the rocky start aside, it was a great start to a series and I am eagerly looking forward to finding out what’s next to come for Clara, Tucker and Christian. I’m sure it won’t be easy to make decisions between want and need, right and wrong. I hope I will have the answers to my questions about this fascinating world of angels and hopefully Clara won’t become one of these annoying characters who run back and forth between two guys. *fingers crossed*

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.