lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

The Space Between - Victoria H. Smith The Space Between tells us a story about a girl from ’the wrong side’ of the town who befriends a boy from ’the right side’. They’re not supposed to fall in love, but against the odds they do. Does their relationship survive the insurmountable obstacles ahead or will it fall to ruins like a shipwreck?

“Sometimes things are more complicated than they seem. Sometimes what you see isn’t so black and white.”

The characters in this book are interesting even if cliché. Lacey is a black girl. She is gorgeous and actually pretty adorable. I found her name funny though, because it’s not what you usually name a girl from the ghetto. Not that I would know for sure, of course, but I’d think it was something else entirely. Anyway, moving on, she comes off as a sweet angel in a rock star body with all those piercings going on and she wants to be a Broadway singer. Hmhh... I’m not sure if that combo worked for me, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Drake is a guy who likes to rebel against his parents and he takes every opportunity he gets to get his adrenaline pumping. I liked him, but I didn’t necessarily love him. I adored that he was an Asian guy, because we don’t meet ‘em that often in YA literature. Bold move, Victoria! What else? Drake’s parents were a-holes. At first I liked his Mother, but then I became to despise her as well as his Dad, they're snobs who care about reputation and money and have no sense of emotions whatsoever. I enjoyed reading about Drake and his sister and their bond though.

In the end, it’s a sweet and quick read with a few butterflies-in-your-stomach moments, but it wasn’t anything I haven’t seen before. The chemistry between Lacey and Drake was good. I wish the ending was a little different: I liked the idea, but I disliked how cliché it was. Oh, and it was so very long. Not Harry Potter long, but still, I thought it could have ended way sooner than it did. However, I felt like the characters were left in a good place and that’s all I can ask for. I'd not say I don't recommend you to check it out, this book just wasn't 'me'.

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.