lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Starcrossed - Josephine Angelini If they were to sell this series in an Estonian bookstore, I could not pass them by without ogling the covers. They’re gorgous! I had heard of these books all over blogosvere and the Internet so it was only a matter of time ‘til I would have found myself reading them. I am a fan of mythology and originality and these are the two departments where this book shines and stands out like a nebula on a cloudless night.

“I don’t care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart.”

Starcrossed is a completely compelling and original take on descendants of the Greek gods. The writing in general is very descriptive which I usually don't like but in this case surprisingly enjoyed. I even liked the romance part: I am not, in fact, a fan of insta love, but this was an insta love with a twist and surprisingly Angelini made it work for me! Lucas and Helen’s relationship grew from mutual respect and friendship in addition to lust and love. I was fascinated by their story and it was impossible for me to not cheer them on.

On the other hand, I’m not sure if I connected with any of the characters in a way I expected to. Helen, only sixteen, sometimes comes off a little immature and patience is definitely not her virtue. She is also very independent and strong. I do think with age she’ll mature, but for now she was a little too unstable for me. My favorite character was Hector though *winks* The other thing that bothered me was the far too long chapters part. I don’t think this will improve so I’ll just have to get used to it I guess.

Overall, it is a very, very strong start to a fascinating and compelling series that has a massive following. I believe it to be a very original take on Greek mythology and Angelini’s epic (in the sense of lyrical ‘n stuff) writing style definitely stands out among some other YA authors. I do believe it has room to grow, but I did very much enjoy it, thank you.

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.