lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Where She Went - Gayle Forman The rating explanation is at the end of the review.

I absolutely adored the amazingness that was If I Stay. I wanted to read Where She Went so bad. I must admit that the first chapter that was at the end of the first book completely knocked me down from my amazement pedestal since it wasn’t at all what I expected. After finishing the second installment, I felt happy enough to dance around in my room and smile like a crazy person though.

“You were so busy trying to be my savior that you left me all alone.”

Where She Went takes place three years after the events of If I Stay and it’s safe to say that things are not at all what we expect them to be. Adam and Mia are both doing their own thing and it’s hard to see how much Adam has changed after what happened in the previous book. He is moody, full of grunge and hate. Full of sorrow.

If I Stay was so full of tears and emotions for me whereas Where She Went explored a different type of emotions – anger, hate, pain. The writing is very relatable and easy to follow, but beautiful at the same time. She delivered Adam’s feelings effortlessly and the way she entwines the past and the present is done very well. The scenes of the past where Adam spent time with Mia’s family and baby brother were done effortlessly and beautifully. I am so terribly sad that the opportunity to do that again in the future has been torn away from Mia and Adam. Overall, I love Gayle Forman’s writing a bunch!

I kinda lost all hope for the happily-ever-after I was hoping for, but when I least expected it, Forman delivered it to me with a beautiful colorful ribbon on top of it (read: everything following the kiss). I don’t have enough great words to explain to you how much I loved these two novels and how much I hope you’ll pick it up and pet these books with the same kind of adoration as I did. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I’m a tool for not picking these up before, my loss! Better late than never. Get on ‘em, lovelies!

So here is where I'm going to explain the rating. I gave it 4 stars even though it was quite perfect. However, I loved If I Stay more. I cried more, I loved more and I felt more. Adam was harder to connect with than Mia. Also, I probably would have given it 5 stars if I had read it right after finishing If I Stay since the emotions from the first book would have been too fresh. I didn't read it right after though. Had to wait for 2 weeks in order for Where She Went to arrive on my doorstep (pros of living in a small European country and prices being sky high in bookstores -.-). Anyhow, the book itself was amazeballs!!

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.