lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover Rating: 5 out of 5 stars with a badge of brilliance on top of it

This review contains no spoilers for the series. You're free to read without the fear of spoiling all the amazingness that is Colleen Hoover's Slammed series :-)

My true love story (lol) with Ms. Colleen Hoover started with this very same book. It is one of the most magnificent, brilliant, gorgeous, sob-my-eyes-and-heart-out books that I have ever come across. What else is there to say? Nothing. However, this isn’t much of a review if I just leave it at that so I’ll count down all the little things I adored in this book even when reading it the 4th time. That’s right. So here we go!

“If I were a carpenter, I would build you a window to my soul. But I would leave that window shut and locked, so that every time you tried to look through it all you would see is your own reflection. You would see that my soul is a reflection of you.”

Whereas the first book was from Layken’s point of view, this time we will see things through Will’s eyes. We get some of his thoughts on what happened in Slammed, but mostly it’s a new story following the events of what happened in Slammed. Point of Retreat has given me more tears than any other book I’ve read before. It’s filled with immensely powerful emotional scenes – especially the hospital ones.

With this novel I truly realized how much Lake, Will and the rest of the co has had to grow up throughout the past year. I wouldn’t wish that much hurt and heartache to anyone. The amount of loved ones these kids have lost has marked and scarred them forever, but they still live on while loving, caring, supporting each other. So what did I love so much about this one? I’ll tell you what: slams, characters, story, growth, fights, laughs, sucks and sweets – absolutely everything. There wasn’t a thing I didn’t love.

With all that said, Point of Retreat is without doubt one of the best contemporaries I have ever read. This series is just so original and unique and I am in love with its characters, story and meaning. Every single line in this book is quotable and butterfyling perfect! I have said it a thousand times and I’ll say it again: if you haven’t read this series, please pick it up and give it a chance. It may very well happen that it’ll rock your world (multiple times) as it did mine.
________________________________

Original review

This was such a sweet story. Heartbreaking as well. I was literally choked up with tears and cried my freaking eyes out. I liked it a lot. Also, it's
male POV which it makes it a lot more fun and interesting to read.

I have to admit, I didn't read the first one correctly - I just went through it and read a few paragraphs form each of the chapters and found myself thinking what does the author have in mind for the sequel. Well.. I tell ya what she had in mind: a freaking heartbreaking and emotional ride with two extremely stubborn and madly in love characters.

I'm glad I read it, it made me laugh so hard a few times and it was a lot better than most adult series/stories. Young-adult authors continue to suprise me again and again when I least expect it. Liked this one a lot!