lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare Actual rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Before I start with this review, my apologies in advance for most likely the longest review I've ever written. The book is the size of a beast and I have so many feeeeeellllzzz that I just need to get them out there.

When I finished the first four books in The Mortal Instruments series, I wanted to read something else by Cassie and since the first two in The Infernal Devices were out, I gave them a try. I didn’t immediately love the characters since let’s face it, I had become to love the ones in TMI and I read TID right after. However, now that I think about it, I was way too harsh with my Clockwork Angel review and when I really think about it, TID series is maybe even better in my eyes.

“A very magnanimous statement, Gideon,” said Magnus.
“I’m Gabriel.”
Magnus waved a hand. “All Lightwoods look the same to me.”

We pick up shortly after where Clockwork Prince ended. Everything is such a mess. Tessa getting ready for her wedding, one of the guys being upset about it and trying not to show it to the rest of the world. Oh boy, did that pain kill me in every single scene. The Magister is gathering his forces to attack and Charlotte’s position as the head of London’s institute is in jeopardy thanks to the very ambitious, jealous and conniving consul Wayland. I felt so darn bad for Charlotte – she has worked her butt off to protect the Shadowhunters and her loved ones and everything might be ripped away by that awful consul who’s threatened by a woman. What a jackass.

Cassie takes no time to jump into action as the Lightwoods have a problem they need help to solve. Here are a few questions that came to mind while I was reading Clockwork Princess: why haven’t I noticed how amazing Gabriel Lightwood is? Why wasn’t I initially excited about the fact that Cecily came to the institute? Why did Cassie make me feel ALL of that with this plot of surprising revelations and complex relationships? It was a brutal ugly crying in some of the scenes, but sadness wasn’t the only emotion brought out in me as Will and Magnus made me laugh out loud on several occasions and excitement ran in my blood with every page turn. The quote above portrays perfectly why these two make such great friends.

The characters in this story are multi-dimensional and very enjoyable. I came to love every single one of them in my own way. I was surprised how much questions were answered, however, I agree with some of the readers that a few of them were a little too vague. Did I mention that I became to love Cecily and Gabriel? Ohhhhh, man! LOVE THESE TWO SO HARD. It was pretty incredulous though how everyone found their soul-mates. Among the people in Institute, nevertheless. Awkward, but understandable. Also, I’m not complaining since most of these were my OTP-s.

This review is already too darn long, but the ending deserves a paragraph on its own, so bare with me, alright? I have mixed feelings about this one. I loved it and at the same time I hated it. I’m more than sure that most of the fandom is satisfied with this solution and in some ways, I am too. However, I feel like it was too easy. Maybe City of Heavenly Fire will explain to us how the impossible turned out to be possible, but it feels a little icky for me. I loved both of the guys and let’s face it, when every single person in a love triangle loves the other two more than life itself, it’s bound to be tough. The epilogue… It didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. I am happy, I’m truly happy, but do I understand? No, I don’t. Not on all levels. I understand why Cassie wrote it that way though, but I still dont give thumbs up to this solution.

To sum up one of the longest reviews I have ever written, this book is a beast in the best way possible. It comes at you with all these emotions and makes you feel ALL the feels there is to feel. I loved almost every single part of it and I truly recommend you to read these books. All I need now is to get the first two in hardcovers so I can put myself through heart ache again and again. I’m a masochist like that, lol. In all honesty, I adored this book and it was a great way to end a series. *fingers crossed it won’t be continued (and ruined)*

More of my reviews can be found my blog.