lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Facade (Games, #2) - Nyrae Dawn *A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review*

I remember reading Charade when it has less than a thousand ratings on Goodreads and look where this story has taken itself to! A huge deal with Hachette and mouth-to-mouth word about Nyrae and her talent. I'm so happy for her since she's an incredible author. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read Facade since I've been waiting for this pretty forever. Adrian was one of my favorite characters in book 1 and his story touched me in ways I didn't expect.

“Your heart beats so strong, I feel it against my chest. You make mine want to catch up, to match the rhythm.”

The story. Adrian is the kind of guy who, at first sight, seems careless, a typical party-boy who is always high. We saw that he has a sweet, caring side, but its hidden behind a facade. He carries a secret with him that explains all of his behaviour and this is where Delaney comes into play--she's connected to this crushing secret that's destroying Adrian every day more and more. The thing is thoug, Adrian doesn't know Delaney's involvement and it may very well be the thing that destroys any chance they have as a couple.

My thoughts. Adrian--my poor baby! I loved him so much in Charade and it pained me to see him waste away his life by being high all the darn time. Having these stupid parties and being with girls, but having incredible pain behind his eyes. I loved his bromance with Colt. I had no idea hidden behind his mask was unimaginable pain. I really thought I had it all figured out since Laney tells us her version of the story, but I couldn't have been a bigger fool! It turned out to be bigger than anything I imagined. It broke my heart and ugly-crying was involved in the healing process.

I liked their sweet, light romance which was actually a beginning of a really deep connection neither of them was expecting. I liked how Laney made Adrian work for her attention and time even though she wanted desperately to meet him, tell him how sorry she is for what kind of pain her family has caused him. It broke my heart to watch them open up and make their woonds worse, but I understand that it was necessary in order for them to heal which was beautiful to watch. The thing that maybe bothered me, was that the writing, while strong in general, for me Adrian's point of view was a little too similar to Colt's. It's probably just me though.

However much I loved Adrian's story, I liked Colt and Chey's more and I have to stay true to myself so the rating is as it is. 4 stars doesn't take away the meaning and amazingness that is this story which was absolutely stunning and painful. I know that Nyrae loves happy endings so I had no doubt that Adrian and Delaney would find their way to each other. I advise you to pick up Charade asap and if you've already read it, give Adrian's book a try. It was gorgeously haunting!

More of my reviews can be found my blog.