lpofimagination

Little Pieces of Imagination

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Out of Line - Jen McLaughlin, Diane Alberts *An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review*

When I first saw this book as an option for review, I jumped into action and requested immediately. The cover is awesome, the blurb sounded good and what more could I have wished for to allure me in? Exactly! So I hopped on the review tour and was super excited to give this New Adult novel a try. I’m sure you’re all here to see what I thought, so I won’t waste your time any longer, let’s get down to business.

"I was done fighting her. From now on, I would fight for her."

The story. Carrie is a very privileged young woman what with being the daughter of a senator. She has a reputation and an image to live up to and when she sets off to college, it’s the tiny bit of freedom she has been craving for forever. There she meets Finn, a free-spirited marine, and she has the choice—to overcome her issues of trust and have the time of her life with someone who may be the one or sail on a sinking ship to loneliness.

My thoughts. Look, as you gathered from my updates, me and Carrie didn’t get off to a good start. She said something in the first chapter that rubbed me the wrong way and I truly thought she’d be one of those extremely annoying main characters who’d constantly annoy the jazz out of me. Lucky for her, she was able to somewhat redeem herself as the novel progressed. Since we have a dual point of view, we know from early on who Finn is and if you’ve seen and enjoyed Chasing Liberty starring Mandy Moore, you’ll probably want to watch it again sometime by the time you’re finished with this pretty. Just as Mandy's character, Carrie grows tremendously throughout the novel. Same goes for First Daughter starring Katie Holmes.

Finn was a great character to spend time with. He was wicked, smexy, laid-back and fun, but strict when it came to his job. I’d like to make a comment about something related to him: I want to study like that. Any chance Finn would want to do some cramming and reward me whenever I get a correct answer? I’m totally up for that *insert innocent face* Whaaat? Can you blame me? I don’t think so. That was… *ahem* nice *ahem* to read about.

I liked the parts where Finn taught Carrie how to surf the best. Also, the smexy was hot in this book, let’s be honest. When Carrie found out what Finn was hiding from her, I understood her anger and frustration. It was hard to watch it all unravel since we know how Finn truly feels, but Carrie with all her trust issues thanks to her parents had a hard time seeing through all the lies and realizing that Finn did love her. I had a tough time with one thing though: I didn’t understand how much time had passed between certain scenes hence me thinking some things happened faster than they were supposed to happen.

The plot is pretty much predictable from the start and offers nothing new. However, I found it to be a like a great beach vacation read or suitable if you’re having hard time letting go of summer, for instance. The ocean scenes made me want to experience some hot sunshine and nice, cool water for a while longer. I’m more than sure that people will love this book, I just wanted something different in addition to all that we got, because there are lots of similar books out there and it needs to stand out with something. I think people who loved Lengths by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt would find this enjoyable.

More of my reviews can be found my blog.